Old 06-18-20, 07:49 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by ulstoft
....The frame and forks will be different with the disc bake option so that is a choice I have to make up front. I was also advised that the fork used in the v-brake setup provides a more comfortable ride. I think the disc brake setup uses a straighter fork.

​​​​​​​

The tyre specification is my fault. We were discussing tyres and I said that a 32 is the minimum needed to stand up a loaded touring bike when it wants to go over in the mud, but I did not mean to indicate that I wanted a 32. I think I am going to request 35s which is arguably thin, but I feel confident carrying 50lbs on 35s.

​​​​​​​....
did i mention before you aren't getting a custom bike? if your frame builder gentleman is telling you ya gotta choose between disk or v-brake frame and fork, he's bolting together an off-the-peg taiwan factory frame for you. a competent builder would at least give you the option of having disk mount tabs AND v'brake studs on the frame and fork.

did your "builder" not argue against a fully-loaded expedition bike with 32's in muddy conditions? he should have said minimum 45's, and explained the need for extra clearance with fenders.........in the mud! and why would you request 35mm road tires for an off-road expedition touring bike? did your builder agree to that? if so.....RUN!!! he's NOT a builder, he's an assembler. he's just slapping together some random pieces without considering what you claim to be your ultimate use for the bike.