guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Yep, it has similar performance, with the Grail a bit more relaxed - longer/lower/slacker (wheelbase/BB/headtube).

GCN did a comparo of the Inflite and the Grail, and said the Grail was faster on gravel - although I think that was mostly because the Grail had bigger tires (33 vs 40mm) and possibly because of the gearing (1x on their test inflite).

I think the Inflite is closer to a road bike and handles a bit better on the road, where the Grail would handle a bit better on gravel (i.e. loose conditions).
Thanks again - this was very useful. I read the Grandfondo review of the 2 bikes, and also your comments that you had posted here a while ago. The Grail sounds interesting, but that weird handlebar is going to be a pain to pack and travel with. The Inflite sounds great, but 32-33c tires max is a bit too little - the Domane at 38c would be a better buy then. Handling shouldnt be an issue with either bike, though.

Part of my uncertainty is that i have no idea how much more off-road riding i will do and whether i will miss not having anything more 40c. As of now, i think not - but what if....