View Single Post
Old 10-10-19, 10:53 PM
stuartofmt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started with a Kinetic Rock and Roll Control. It may be that I have the calibration incorrect (calibrated to 6.9 on Kinetic Fit app) . This was also my first AR / simulated / smart trainer ride. I just did North Applegate (12ml 735ft in 53m) thinking it would be an easy "in" . I'm also using the Mac beta. Yeah, I know, too many variables :-(
In any case, this was a disappointment. I regularly ride longer distances with steeper climbs about the nearest comparison is a segment that is 8 ml 1200ft in about 56min. This was easy compared to the Rouvy experience.

The hills started (according to effort required) before getting to the hill on the video. At one stage I was recording something like 2mph yet my on-bike computer indicated about 8mph. Lucky I was on a trainer or I would have fallen off !! Even on the 2% inclines the effort required was WAY harder than in the real world. Also - the power, although pretty even, was lower (~140W) with a LOT higher effort than I would normally see from Strava's estimates for what, in the real world, is lower effort. Subjectively - I'd expect to have seen an average ~ 180W(based on Strava for similar efforts) I realize that Strava is just an estimate but thats not the issue.

The issue boils down to Rouvy (and or the trainer) seeming to initiate resistance in advance of actually getting to the hill, and then applying resistance way out of proportion to what I'd experience in the real world. Not to mention having a speed indication at times that was fancifully slow and plainly wrong.

Any advise - or suggestions on what / where to try would be greatly appreciated. One thing I can do of course is try some other apps and see if the premature / too high resistance is just a ROuvy thing or points to the trainer ....