Old 12-01-19, 04:50 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
How cold does the bike get when stored? If water gets inside the ratchet (be it a freewheel or cassette) and then freezes it can cause either full lock up or spinning both rotational directions, as the pawls can freeze in their position.

When I had my shop in Cleveland the whole bike messenger thing was getting going strong. My shop was the closest to downtown (where most of the deliveries were being made) and close to where some of the messengers lived. So they would sometimes stop by on their way home. They would ask about why their bike didn't freewheel or not catch forwards when earlier in the day it ran fine. My shop had a classic hot water radiator right by the front door and I would motion the riders to park their bike by the door (as the bikes would be crusty with salty slush and would drip down when warm). They would come to the counter and describe their problem and I would say I can fix the bike without touching it if given a few minutes. Sure enough they would find their coasting/catching worked fine in a few minutes, as the puddle under the cog set grew Flushing our the internals and adding as thick a lube as we could would offset the freezing issue for a while. Andy
Thank you on the scads of observational experience.😀
Unfortunately it is colder than can be described here. It will warm up a bit the snow will melt and the next day freaking freezing again.🤗 I can also echo the messengers experience. The bike was fine when I pedalled home but the gears spun the next morning. There is just no room to bring it inside. I wonder if storing it under a tarpaulin would help. Whatever,tomorrow the rear hub gets the lubrication job. I asked if wd40 or jigaloo would work. I have those but will get tri oil if I have to.