View Single Post
Old 10-15-14, 06:21 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, that's my bike! haha. Well, it WAS my bike. This thread is 5 years old, and many things have changed during that time.

As I recall, the bike's handling was very nimble. It was simple, relatively lightweight, and fun to throw around.

My plan was to keep the frame intact, but braze in a second top tube and second set of seat stays along with a seat tube extension to stiffen the seat area. Similar to how some F1 bmx bikes were designed. In the end, I disassembled the bike and stored the frame and other parts for years, only to have recycled them about a month or two ago.

Here's what I like about the concept: compact frame, bottom bracket in "correct location" for 20"wheelset, if you get a bmx frame with a long enough top tube (~21") the bike is OK for adult size riders.

The challenges: the seatpost (as already discussed), need a riser for the handlebars, rear dropout spacing not correct for geared wheel.

I say if you can find a geared 20" mountain bike with a 21" or longer top tube, you might have something. Similar to the F1 bmx bikes that marxmini is using.