View Single Post
Old 08-04-19, 09:52 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
First and foremost, how bad are the climbs heading west? And what about the wind? Is it typically stronger in one direction over the other?
Depends on what you think are bad climbs. For me the climbs on that route are long but generally aren't steep if you have low gears (20 gear inches). Wind, you will generally be going slow so won't be as big an issue. Wind does depend on time of year though - the Chinooks on the front range can be brutal.

The route seems to really hug the interstate. Is it far enough away that I won't have trucks buzzing in my ear the whole route? What about traffic on the frontage roads.
Route is not right next to the freeway for the most part so no won't notice trucks or traffic. Though on Highway 6 over Loveland Pass you will be sharing the road with trucks not allowed thru Eisenhower Tunnel (any with hazardous loads). Traffic on parallel "frontage" roads generally not bad.

Are there enough towns with hotels every 40 or 50 miles? I can do longer if I don't have much of a climb. I did quick check and it looks like there are plenty of places between Denver and Breckenridge but I did not get to the rest of the route yet.
Short answer is yes, you can find hotels every 40 miles or less. Some areas might be pricey. Some are separated by a pass.

As to whether anyone from sea level can cycle Colorado without x days of acclimation my experience shows it can be done. In 2013, when I was 55 and not in the best shape of my life, I went to see the US Pro Challenge Race (when it was still 7 days). I drove from sea level (Los Angeles) to Carbondale Colorado (6,200'), just up valley from Glenwood Springs, in 36 hours. Next day (1st full day at altitude) I biked to Aspen (elevation 8,000 feet) to see the race, then started part way up Independence Pass to camp (probably 9,000'). Next day I crossed Independence Pass (12,095'), and stayed with friends in Leadville. Independence Pass was by far the hardest day for me but I have really low gears and just ground my way up. So essentially in 4 days I went from sea level to 12,095', Maybe the question is how strong a rider you are to begin with.