View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 12:11 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't go bikepacking heavily loaded either. However there are only a few places you can put the weight in a bikepacking system and all of them are higher than a traditional pannier system. There's only so much weight you can put in the bottom of a frame bag at the lowest point on the bike. The rest of it will be far higher than any traditional touring system and, at least for off-road riding, you are likely to be on steeper, rockier and more technically challenging bike riding. A higher CG does not make for more stable riding.

I'm also not talking about death wobbles. I'm talking about endos. A loaded handlebar, more weight in the frame and a high mounted load on the saddle all make for more likelihood that the bike is going to turn turtle on you if the wheel hits something. It requires far more attention to how you ride off-road and to how you deal with something that could stop the front wheel.
I am finding that is more a function of seat post height and one reason I am looking to a dropper post for my next purchase. Fortunately both my road bike and fat bike take the same diameter post so, as with the bags, it will be interchangeable due to bike choice and conditions. Bonus is my current road post is carbon so... best of both worlds.