View Single Post
Old 09-01-15, 02:35 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
Wow! Several thoughts/questions:
1. Your description of where you ride sounds like a front suspension bike would come in handy
2. Where is this 40 mile greenway? Just curious as I am a greenway rider as well.
3. "Racing" on a greenway? Are there not walkers and joggers? I know from experience that they do not take kindly to bikes going all out and will report such activity to " the authorities" in which case bikes might get banned. don't know the situation where you are...just a thought.
The suspension does come in handy a bit, but I'm locked out the majority of time. I can definitely feel less efficiency when not locked out.

Technically, these are actually two different greenways that are joined by a pool and skateboard park. From one end of the first, to the opposite end of the second one is 16 miles. So there and back, coupled with a 4 mile+ street ride to downtown and back from the first one, puts it over 40 miles for me.

An all-out race is a bit of an exaggeration, but it does get somewhat competitive between cyclists and their egos. Not to the point of being reckless or putting others in jeopardy though. Riders hate getting passed around here, especially the roadies when getting passed by a hybrid.