climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Answering the Question

Originally Posted by kross57
To be right for me, my bikes require the low standover height of a 19-20" frame, but a higher seat, and consequently higher handlebars. Finding the right frame size has not been difficult, but I do need to switch out the stem for a longer one. Is this unusual, or fairly common?
@Kross wants to know if this bike fit is unusual. One way to find out is to measure it and compare to what other cyclists prefer.

I estimated some measurements from the photo:

Saddle to crank spindle: 68 cm
Saddle to pedal in down position: 85 cm
Top tube stand over height: 72.5 cm
Saddle to handlebar center: 51 cm
Saddle to bar vertical drop: 0

Comparing several other cyclists with 68 cm saddle-to-crank, I estimate that @Kross is around 5'6" in height.

I see two questions:

1. @Kross claims to prefer a low standover height, but a high saddle position. The photo supplied indicates that this is the case.

Since the estimated saddle-to-pedal distance is ~12 cm more than the stand over height, that's a very large stand over clearance. But is it "unusual"? I certainly wouldn't fit anyone on a traditional diamond frame with that much clearance.

2. @Kross claims to need a long stem to obtain the estimated 51 cm saddle to bars distance. To find out if 51 cm is unusual, let's look at other cyclists preferring the same saddle-to-crank measurement of 68 cm:

With a 51 cm saddle-to-bars and a 68 cm saddle-to-crank spindle, @Kross is indeed an outlier, with only 3 of the 75 cyclists preferring that distance or longer.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-30-19 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fixed stand over measurement