View Single Post
Old 03-05-20, 09:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I think someone posted a thread about the Strava golden triangle of inactivity which my commute falls partly into...
Indeed:
Originally Posted by autonomy
"Northern outer suburbs of Boston - the Bermuda rectangle of cycling"

I was browsing the Strava heat map and this black hole caught my attention:

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Those weird-angle intersections and junctions are so New England. And the narrow shoulders and roads are typical for older towns and cities.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

IMO, that photo is typical of that sector of the Northern suburbs, as I previously posted,“Pleasant suburban to rural inland roads," in contrast to the adjacent sectors:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I would describe the sectors as (mostly for road riding outside of Rte 128):

North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline, especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant, Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem, Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, etc.

Northern Suburbs: Lynnfield, Reading, Wilmington, Woburn, down through Winchester, etc: Pleasant suburban to rural inland roads.

Western: Lincoln, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, etc: Very ritzy, buccolic and historic; very popular for riding. This area IMO has the steepest hills.
So that “Bermuda Rectangle” suffers in comparison to her glamorous neighbors.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-06-20 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added quote by BobbyG