View Single Post
Old 10-22-20, 09:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by EviLDORK
I was told to get on the sidewalk by police directing traffic around the Wisconsin State Fair on two separate occasions. I wasn't ticketed or even identified. It's illegal to bicycle on sidewalks in this state and that part of 84th St is technically part of the Oak Leaf Trail, but I ended up walking my bike on the sidewalk to avoid both arguing with the cops and breaking the law.
I was surprised at this and found this:

"The City Code of West Allis requires a standardized concrete sidewalk to be built “Upon all streets which are improved by grading, paving, macadamizing and curbing” (11.07(2)(a)).
10.20 RIDING BICYCLE ON SIDEWALK.
(a) Pursuant to sec. 346.92(1) of the Wisconsin Statutes, the operation of bicycles upon a sidewalk is permitted in the City. The person operating a bicycle on a sidewalk shall follow all other applicable rules of the road.
(b) Every bicycle being operated on a sidewalk and passing a pedestrian proceeding in the same direction shall be equipped with a device such as a horn, bell or buzzer to give the audible signal required by sec. 346.804 of the Wisconsin Statutes, or the bicyclist shall verbally inform the pedestrian that the pedestrian is going to be passed and on which side.
(c) The penalties set forth in sec. 346.82 of the Wisconsin Statutes, shall apply to violations of this section.
Ord. 6363, 2/3/98; Ord. 6383, 4/21/98"

scott s.