rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Several times as a kid, riding on the highway to Jones Beach and coming back from Montauk on Long Island - bikes not allowed on either.

As an adult, once in DC I was stopped for not fully stopping at a stop sign! I didn't run it but I didn't put my feet down, either. When he asked for ID I truthfully replied that I didn't carry my wallet and there wasn't much he could do but give me a stern warning.

Another time, I was driving somewhere with the bike on the back of my car and it has hanging in front of a license plate. There was a long line of cars in the right turn lane, including a police car, and I was going to go straight but an opening appeared so I moved (annoyingly, but perfectly legally) into the right lane. A few blocks after the turn, lights and siren behind me - the police officer pulled me over and I prepared my defense for the turn. Instead he told me my bike was blocking visibility of my license plate and he was going to write me a ticket. Luckily, the local bike advocacy group had recently put out an article on that - Maryland has no such law. I pointed that out and he said "Well, I could also get you for that illegal turn" - aha, that's what it was really about! But, just another warning.

Final one wasn't a pullover: in my younger days I would really fly downhill and I was doing so on a nice smooth shoulder next to a major road. A police car pulled up next to me, honked and he flashed five fingers, then two fingers, then thumbs up! I guess he clocked me at 52 mph which had to be an exaggeration but I still claim that speed today!
If putting you feet down signals a full stop, I and any trike rider are guilty of never stopping since we remain clipped in at stops.