View Single Post
Old 04-30-15, 09:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
Why stop there? Skateboarders, roller skaters, rollerbladers, scooter riders, the list goes on. Heck, I've been walked into by pedestrians too busy texting to watch where they are going.
Don't forget to add dogs and cats to the licensing and insurance... well, many places require a license, but don't have very stringent requirements to acquire them.

At what age do you wish to license bikers?

3 yrs old?
5 yrs old?

Don't forget that many adult cyclists actually do have valid drivers licenses, although, in some cases, it has been taken away by the government.

A lack of insurance doesn't dismiss liability for one's actions. If I run into a legally parked car, and damage the car, I would be liable for the damages. Likewise if I run down a pedestrian, I would be liable for that. And, the person being harmed could come after my retirement and every asset I own. Of course an 18 yr old may not have a lot of assets, but they do have a lifetime worth of earning potential.

The biggest issue is that bikes are often at the receiving end of accidents, and are harmed much more by cars than they harm the cars. Even things like "being doored" is usually considered the fault of the person in the car.

Bicycle Safety Training certainly is important, and I would encourage all schools to incorporate it in their curriculum, as well as having safety training exhibits at fairs and other places where kids congregate. Perhaps also snag some newbie adults.