View Single Post
Old 12-18-18, 04:30 PM
FinkFloyd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fast twitch / slow twitch

I have read many times that the following matters relevant to track cycling are essentially fact:

1. Athletes in general, and track sprinters in particular, are born and not made; you need to have picked your fast-twitch parents well.
2. A preponderance of fast-twitch muscle fibres are needed to make someone a good sprinter.
3. Anyone can improve through training and practice, but having the wrong genes will essentially be a hard ceiling on things like this.

My question, therefore, is this: is there any way of finding out? I'm assuming that there is a method of analysing an athlete's body (besides anecdotally in terms of how they respond to training) to work out whether they are ectomorph/endomorph/mesomorph, and what sort of fast/slow twitch ratio they have. Obviously, in some ways, it doesn't matter; you play the hand you're dealt and you go as fast as you can, and if you aren't genetically blessed, that's no reason to give up on a sport that you enjoy. On the other hand, it is something I find interesting from an analytical point of view - does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.