Old 03-02-20, 05:24 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M

But the rest of us like an upright seating position. We got my wife a Schwinn Sanctuary for a pretty good deal and then the last bike I acquired for 15 was a mountain bike.

I'm basically working on turning it into a cruiser. It's a Schwinn Hurricane and I think it was made in the mid 90's . The handlebars on this one are more upright than some but I still want them a bit higher. And it needs a new, cruiser type seat.

Okay you're on a tight budget so modified usually means expensive. I've done countless mountain to cruiser conversions and they are not cheap. We're talking the need to replace the stem,bars,and 4 cables with housing. Even getting the stuff on sale still is a minimum of $60 4 times the price you paid for the bike. I mean you can cheap out and mickey mouse some of it but cables and housing are not cheap the that has been a deal breaker for many of the projects proposed because people just weren't ready to make that investment. All the bikes you have listed are Walmart sold bikes and are of poor quality and I agree are not worth the investment. The best bikes are the high quality mountain bikes with superior components that make excellent conversions. Coaster brake bikes are cheap and easy to modify because they have no cables. Break levers and shifters require more work and parts so either get used to the idea of riding what you have or get ready to throw down some $$ If you have a bike co-op nearby you may get some parts on the cheap.I charge a minimum of $150 for a mountain conversion but it's a job done right and works the way it should.
Likes For Crossthreaded88: