Old 10-04-19, 08:42 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
If you have to buy a Bike and change the Tires you take the Bikes full potential away
That has not been my experience at all.

My first hybrid was a Fuji Absolute with 28mm tires, typical hybrid tread. After a couple of years riding the stock tires, I replaced them with 35mm cyclocross tires. What a difference! The extra width and lower air pressure really smoothed things out on the rural roads I typically ride, and the grip on the edges provided more control on trails with loose stone or gravel.

The bike that the OP is asking about has basically the same geometry as the Absolute, so I would guess that putting CX tires on it would offer a similar improvement.

Having said that, I think the FX 6 is probably overkill for the purpose described. I think the FX 3 or FX 4 would do just as well or even better for a mix of roads and light trails, as the FX 6 drive train is aimed at primarily road riding. Personally, I'd opt for the gearing on the FX 3, but I ride a lot of hills. The lowest gear ratio on the FX 4 is 1.00 (34/34), whereas the FX 3 gives you a range of 0.83 up to 4.18. In fact, the FX 3 is almost identical to the Absolute I used to have (gearing, material, geometry), and that bike worked great for the purpose the OP describes.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 10-04-19 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For AU Tiger: