View Single Post
Old 10-04-19, 09:46 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Love_Bikes
I am thinking of buying FX 6 Sport. I am used cycling 10+ miles daily in my 30's, but in the past 15 Years, not much cycling, mainly running (Half Marathon) and would like to get back to cycling. I am 50+ and prefer a light weight bikes. Appreciate your help in understanding FX 6 capabilities. 60% of my riding will be in black top trail roads/pavements, and the rest in compacted dirt and gravel roads. I expect to ride 10 miles daily to start with. Can I ride FX 6 on dirt roads and parks? Do i need to change the stock tire (32mm) to a better one? Also question on the 105 group set. Why trek is not using Mountain bike components in Hybrid if the bike can be used on trails? Thank you
For the riding you describe, the Trek FX6 would be just fine, even with the stock 32mm tires -- set to the correct pressure. That is how I use my Specialized Sirrus bikes, with 32s. My new one came with 38s; I changed them out after about a month. Not necessary. You might want to confirm that you could put at least 35s on the FX6 if you wanted -- I suspect you could but don't know -- but that's about it.

That bike also has the Isospeed rear decoupler, and stock you could switch to tubeless tires if you wanted. So it's pretty adaptable 'out of the box'.

It has a road drivetrain because it is, essentially, a 'road bike' though with flat bars and good tire clearance, and most purchasers probably use it as such. It isn't meant for true mountain bike trails, but those don't appear to be your intended surfaces.