Old 10-04-19, 11:04 AM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Love_Bikes
Very Interesting to read your posts and thank you. I would like to take the bike off road some time, so seems FX 6 may not the best fit? I will look at Verve
It might help if you define what "off road" means to you. The FX line will be perfectly fine for rail trails and the like - paths with crushed limestone or not-too-deep gravel and dirt. Trek's description of the FX 3 includes this: "It's a commuting pro if you want it to be, or the perfect fitness companion on pavement and rail trails."

But if you're talking about paths through the woods with ruts, holes, and roots, then you might want something else. But probably not the Verve. The Verve is a comfort bike, meaning you'll sit more upright. It would be suited for the same type of surfaces the FX is, just with a less-aggressive body position. But the suspension on it is not meant for heavy-duty off-roading. For that, you'd want a true mountain bike.

The problem with mountain bikes is that they don't do well on roads. That's exactly why I have a second bike - the Kona is a lot of fun on rough off-road trails, but it's way too heavy for my typical road rides.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 10-04-19 at 11:07 AM.