View Single Post
Old 06-01-15, 10:25 AM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WDH74
You can count me as someone who doesn't mind the Bontrager H1 saddle, either. It seems to fit my rear end pretty well - no...er...functional problems after a long ride (I am careful to keep on my sit bones), and I don't think the firm padding is too harsh. I might start looking at other saddles, to see if I find one that fits better, after all you'll never know unless you look.

Now, the pedals, I don't much care for. My Diamondback has wide, flat pedals and I can wear most any shoes on those, but they're slick when wet. The pedals on the FX, however, are much narrower, and I have to wear athletic shoes to keep from hurting my feet (and it doesn't always work). I'm considering first going with some MTB shoes, which will have a stiffer sole to better distribute the force. I'll probably get ones that have the option for cleats, and swapping in clipless pedals later (probably the kinds with a platform on one end and cleats on the other, since I like being able to hop on my bike to run up the street without having to put on special shoes).
I agree with you on both counts. I thought the H1 saddle wasn't bad for a stock saddle, though I went ahead and put a Tailbones saddle on that I already had. I may switch back and forth occasionally to decide which I like best. The pedals drew blood on my legs both times I bumped into them. I switched to my Shimano dual-sided mountain bike pedals as soon as I got the bike home.