Old 09-25-16, 12:54 PM
FlatFender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I borrowed a friends recumbent... Have questions

Howdy folks. A good friend of mine is a die hard recumbent rider, and he's been trying to convert me for a few years. He was heading out of town for the weekend, so I borrowed his Lightning Thunderbolt. Did about 10 miles on it this morning, and I really liked some aspects of it, but I have some questions too. The bike was a little too small for me, but not terribly small.

On an upright bike, I'm used to the bike getting more stable the faster I go, but this thing was so twitchy, and I even going as fast as I could go, it didn't seem to tighten up. Is this just a recumbent thing, or could it be because it was a tick small? Maybe because of the short wheelbase?

Also, I had a really hard time climbing, even slight grades. Is this just something that you get used to? Is there technique involved?

I've got some injuries from a spill I took last fall, and I really like the idea of picking up a recumbent, but after riding this particular bike, I'm not so sure. Would a longer wheelbase bike be something better to try?

Last edited by FlatFender; 09-25-16 at 01:00 PM.