View Single Post
Old 05-01-19, 07:14 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
As a resident of Savannah, Ga. there are plenty of fixed gear riders, even the ultra stupid brakeless riders. To my knowledge, nobody has ever been ticketed for this. Most local law enforcement is very strict on the light laws though. I would imagine a lot of police officers don’t actually know what the law specifically states about this, so as long as a cyclist isn’t endangering themselves or others, there won’t be an issue. As far as the lights, I have been told by more than one officer, that they look very carefully for a bike riding after dark, to have both a light and a red rear reflector. (Same requirement as car taillights, mind you). I don’t know if anyone has hd issues with front lights though. I’ve shard the opinion that all bicycle front lights should have a certain output (brightness) to be road legal, but that’s another discussion. I put out 5,000 lumens, so I’m good anyway.

i don’t know how the laws are enforced in Atlanta or some of the other smaller cities like Augusta, Athens, etc. But I would say you won’t have any issues riding a fixed bicycle here. Of course my city is a bit different because of the high number of bicycle commuters.

also, FYI, I only have a front brake on my SS commuter.
No issue in Atlanta. I have a front brake only and have been riding fixed here for almost 3 years. As others have stated before, my gut feeling is that as long as you have lights and turn them on at night, you are good. The Silver Comet Trail is a popular spot for cyclists, and is also aggressively patrolled by Police in Paulding county. They don't seem to notice or care that I only have a front brake. As long as you aren't a danger to others, chances are, you are good.

Dave