View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 10:02 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts

Late 1979 I built my first MTB out of a Schwinn Varsity using 26"x1.75" wheels and tires. It weighed 31lbs in race trim sitting on the start line. Because of this heritage I consider the Varsity a capable MTB if you build it that way. The above Varsity is my gravel road/trail bike with 700C x 40mm tires. This bicycle is best characterized by the phrase, "Heavy Metal". So I ask to be qualified a Heavy Arsed Steel MTB. In those early years of MTBing I raced against Mr. Ritchey in several of the Northern California races of the era on that bicycle and did very well. I love the pictures of the steel Ritchey. Speaking of the Ritchey bottom bracket I broke a seatpost at the Rockhopper MTB race in Santa Rosa and walked back to the start line with a guy who had torn the whole BB bearing assembly out of his Ritchey frame with a pedal strike. Ruined the frame.