View Single Post
Old 01-27-20, 01:59 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
“Oh gawd!” yourself. So your legs are telling CoffeeDrinkerNC that his legs are just weak? I suppose he could just suffer and that would make your legs feel better. And I’m not talking about a “couple of hundred bucks”. A square taper crank that would have the gearing he wants can be had for roughly $10 to $30 used on EBay for an even better crank. Raylee has linked to a new crank that is $40. A bike shop can get the same crank for about $60 and they can install it for $20 to $30. That’s a lot less than $200.

As for brains, is it smarter to suffer or to ride smarter? CoffeeDrinkerNC could just push higher gears and risk injury or he could ride smarter and healthier. I assure you that I’m not stupid nor is CoffeeDrinkerNC.
You are so unaware. A rider's legs are going to develop far more than when he is starting and new. He has great gears now and with a little natural strength building , he will be fine.

As far as being stupid, I am not so sure. Who is going to go out and push higher gears than what they can and injure themselves? Have you never heard of building up to the level? What idiot is going to go ride a big hill without having built up to it? I guess I am much smarter than you because if I can't do a hill, I would find a lesser one, conquer it, then gradually advance. Only and idiot would do that and that seems exactly what you are doing.

Coffeedrinker, your gears are fine. Keep riding, build your strength, advance gradually. (not sure why a not so smart person would think you are going to attack a hill without preparation). YOur gears are fine, develop your legs, that hill will be a breeze.

Or take the stupid know it all way and waste your money, it's your choice. But imo, not everybody needs to spend money on new equipment they don't need. Sure, it sounds good on paper, but go buy the parts, then go to your shop and ask them to put them on, I bet it comes close to $200. The people who claim to not be stupid are always more than happy to waste your money.

Think about it, How many people buy a hybrid the later realize they should have gotten a road bike once they develop a little fitness?

You have to be stupid to invest money on something you will outgrow and you will outgrow super high gears since you are a NEW rider.