Old 05-29-20, 02:03 AM
viterbi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Roubaix Elite (2008) for commuting

Hello!

with the current bike shortage it has been very challenging to find a bike at a reasonable price.
I ended up buying a Specialized Roubaix Elite for 2008 from around 500$. The bike is in great condition. My first question would be, how about that price? did I overpay or was it reasonable? Keep in mind the limitations that exist right now, I heard the bike sales have increased 120% last month, so it is not like I had much to choose from.

More importantly, I intend to use this bike for commuting. My commute is fairly short, 15mins 100% through city. I guess that one of the modifications that would be good is to put tires as thick as possible with as much grip as possible, am I correct? I mean it is not like my priority is speed.
So my main question is, can anybody with this exact bike model tell me the absolute maximum tire width I can install? I have read that it might be able to accomodate a 31mm but I would like to be sure before I purchase it.
Also, any recommendations on tire brand/model given my usage (100% city, much of it is on bike lanes which are painted with some special paint)

I am pretty new to bikes so any recommendations on how to make my bike more suitable for my use will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by viterbi; 05-29-20 at 02:14 AM.