Old 05-29-20, 03:31 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by viterbi
Thanks man, yes I guess the best option is to buy some try them one and return them if they don't fit. Why do you say I don't need any threading? isn't threading good for rainy days?
I am not gonna be racing or really don't care thattt much about half a pound more I would like to use ones which last a bit (so I don't have to change them often)
28mm Gatorskins are probably your best bet.

Rain: It is physically impossible to get a 28mm tire to hydroplane (well if you aren’t doing triple digits). I’ve read plenty about how tread doesn’t make any difference – even off road. I’ve mountain bike raced on what is basically a slick (if hardpacked). I will say, that if you are going to go down – treaded tires break away much slower than slicks. But at anything under 32mm, I’m on slicks.

I would get the biggest tire you can fit. Over the years, I’ve gotten bigger and bigger with my tires – from 25 to 28 to 32 to 40mm. Now that power meters are a thing – we can prove that bigger tires are actually faster (if you are not worried about weight or being super aero).

As for rain – you using fenders? I change at work, so I don’t care too much, but I do use a seat post mounted fender to keep road slime off my butt when it gets wet.

+1 on what Blacknblue said.

I’ve been doing this for many decades and the invention of cell phones changed everything. I use a strobe light, hi vis shirt, and assume every car is trying to kill me – because no matter what – some cars will not see you even when they are looking right at you (funny how our brain works).

Pump – I check every couple of days. Maybe you could get away with a week, but on a road bike, low pressure means pinch flats, so I like to keep them where they belong. Definitely practice fixing a flat at home, so you know what to do on the road. Carrying a spare inner tube is the easiest (and a couple canisters of CO2). Always wear gloves.