View Single Post
Old 02-16-24, 11:13 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Patching Butyl Tubes - Problems

Forgive the posting in C&V, but I am afraid the activity of patching a butyl tube is most likely considered anachronistic by most modern cyclists.

I have always enjoyed patching tubes. I don't get flats terribly often, maybe 4 per year. I typically save up punctured tubes and "batch patch" them in the winter. HOWEVER I have noticed a big change in the past few years, and I wanted to know if others noticed this too or if any ideas/suggestions.

Up until about 5 years ago, I had a "success" rate of patching of about 9/10, in other words nearly every patch worked fine. Sure, 10% would not adhere right or just not work, but 9/10 is fine and that was consistent year after year. Now it's the reverse. Nearly every patch fails. It seems the patches are not sticking well at the edge/margin of the patch. It's infuriating. I am using the SAME brand patches and vulcanizing fluid (Rema Tip Top) and the SAME technique. I am even using a stupid tool I bought to try to press the patch to the tube with more force (figuring with age maybe my finger strength got weaker).

My only guess is something has changed in the butyl they use for tubes or I got a really bad batch of Rema patches (I got a box of 100 of them).

I am close to giving up on patching and just tossing tubes like most people do.

Any comments/suggestions??