View Single Post
Old 04-22-19, 08:15 PM
ToddTheBod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
I've been a runner for years. I started road biking about 3 years ago. Generally i've been following a running training program and then commuting to work two or three times a week (13 miles each way). I've done a few triathlons and a bunch of half and full marathons. I decided to try to focus on the bike this year and that's what led me to the time crunched program. Well, that and I started a new postion last year that has required a larger portion of my time. I've never actually trained with a heart rate monitor but i've read a lot about it and I support the concept. It seems that running training plans without technology are easier to find. Distance based (i.e. go to the track and run 400M or 800M sprints) and I have a really good feel for what I can handle for whatever distance that way. In cycling i'm a little lost on how to get the best training. I can't just hop over to the track and do 400M sprints, I have to find the right road section that doesn't have lights and that I can loop back on. I'm looking for simplicity and easy training guides that I can integrate into my normal routines and cycling programs seem to want higher tech and more $ investment
Especially if you've been training with heart rate as a runner, I would do what others have said here and start off with RPE and a stopwatch. Experienced athletes are actually really well in-tune with their bodies and often able to hit zoned training without much reliance on the powermeter or heart rate monitor. I believe Taylor Phinney even says he trains on RPE, but rides with a PM and his coach looks at the data later.

In order to translate from distanced based running workouts to cycling timed interval workouts, just back out about how much time your running work would take, I bet it's close to some pretty standard cycling workouts, 5x5', 2x20', etc.