Old 07-03-23, 09:15 AM
tombc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BK268
I'm wondering if a narrow wide chainring will help for my issue,

I recently brought a cheep aluminium folding bike for a bike/train touring trip, (Dahoon v8)

i was anticipating selling it on my return, but I've actually somewhat fallen for it, but there are two big failures in the design,

1. The break and gear cables routes are ridiculous- I've sorted that,
2. the chain comes of the front chain ring occasionally when on he biggest rear sprocket, not because of chain jump, but because the chain angle is too much.

Will a narrow wide chainring solve this? or does it just solve chain jump on rough terrain?

I've tried changing the spacing on the rear wheel, but then it comes off on the smallest rear sprocket - it seems the change angle range between biggest and smallest spoken is to much for the chain ring.

any thoughts appreciated
usually a folding bike has a 50+ tooth front sprocket to keep the gearing reasonable with the small wheels. I've been out of the folding bike store for a couple years now but I am not aware of any narrow wide chainrings in that size range. May exist though! I would also recommend a 10+ speed chain to prevent drops, cut as short as you can get away with to take out the chain slack. Clutch derailleur may be a good upgrade if you are running 8+ speed as well.