View Single Post
Old 10-22-16, 04:23 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
- The cones on the front axle of my Feida didn't come with lock nuts, so keeping the cones in proper adjustment was a real nuisance every time I unmounted and remounted the wheel. With the lock nuts on, the fork turned out to be too narrow for the axle to fit, so I used another axle rod to spread the fork out a little; I spun the mounting nuts onto the rod backwards (the washer sides facing outward,) placed the rod in the dropouts, and turned the nuts outwards until the two blades were split wide enough to accommodate a mounted axle.

- Because of the scarcity of bikes that use them, 20x1-3/8 (37-451) tubes - and tires, for that matter - are rare and extremely hard to source locally mainly because very few shops stock them due to the lack of demand. So when I asked one Indian repair man near my house to find me a couple of tubes for the Feida, what he managed to get me instead was a pair of 22x1-3/8 tubes! When I told him sternly that these would be too big, he taught me this neat trick of tucking the tube in on itself until it's the right circumference for the tire:

You can get the tube to be as short as you want with one or more knots like these - within reason, of course.