Old 02-04-19, 01:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
The really are recycling their routes with some frequency. This year's is much of what was done in 2007. We started and ended in Sisters. Went to La Pine, Diamond Lake, around Crater Lake (no-move day), Dorena Lake, Oakridge, Rainbow and then back to Sisters.

Assuming they are doing Aufdeheide (Sp?) again, the day to Rainbow is really nice. Dorena Lake is just outside of the town of Cottage Grove, where the homecoming parade scenes of "Animal House" were filmed. Leaving Diamond Lake, the "net elevation loss" is something like 20 miles. The first night in La Pine was below freezing. Woke up to ice on my tent fly. A week or so before the ride it snowed there. Be prepared.

If it's run the same way, the climb from Diamond Lake to the rim drive of Crater Lake is 13 miles. I then rode around the lake. When I finished that I was so tired I didn't even want to descend the 13 miles back to camp. 60 miles and nearly 6,500' of climbing. If you are going to be at Crater Lake prior to the event you might consider riding around it then rather than as part of the event. The short out and back to Cloudcap Overlook is worth it.

Here is the profile from the day we did back in 2007:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CRATER LAKE RIM ROAD.pdf (364.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-04-19 at 01:26 PM.