View Single Post
Old 12-25-19, 07:30 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Bags For Credit Card Touring

I am tentatively planning for my first short tour, which would be the Silver Comet-Chief Ladiga trail in GA and AL. It is 95 miles and I would go out and back for a total of 190, sometime this spring.

As I said, I have no touring experience but am planning on riding my mountain bike and travelling light, using motels and diners and fast food joints. I know everyone has their own idea of what "light" consists of but I am thinking of cycling clothes, as they can be hand washed and hang dried easily overnight. So I would only bring money, minimal toiletries, rain gear and one change of clothes.

My problem is I have no place to see bike bags in person and must order on line and I have no clue what I should be looking at. My uninformed guess is that a frame bag and seat bag would be sufficient and I should not need panniers but I am just guessing. I would appreciate some info on what others use for bags for credit card touring.

Also, there are some brand names for other equipment that are proven and reliable, such as Brooks saddles, for example. Is there also a brand name or two that are generally respected for bike bags?