View Single Post
Old 12-26-19, 06:32 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Those large seat bags look like a nice option if you don't have a rack.

I have a Tubus Cargo Evo rack on my hybrid bike, and I have a Tubus Fly Evo that fits my road bike when needed (I usually don't have it installed).

If you have a rack, you cannot go wrong with a pannier from Ortlieb. You could probably get away fine with a single one. I bought a pair of Ortlieb Bike Shopper panniers for commuting, but I find that now that I have them, I use them a lot; trips to the store, picnic with the kids, etc. Often one is all that is needed, though. For example, commuting to work I bring my laptop, a jacket, and a few other work essentials in a single pannier. I use the second pannier for trips to the store, or for if my kids want to bring stuff to the park; roller blades, jackets, extra water, food, whatever.

So.... for your single purpose of doing an overnighter with a credit card and hotel stay, the large bike-packing seat bag is probably a great option. But if you're looking for a way to unlock a little more utility usage from your bike, plus have the ability to do an overnighter or even multi-nighter, panniers are great.

Ortlieb Back Rollers are the large ones that you see people using touring. They're almost indestructible, and have great capacity. The Bike Shopper from Ortlieb is also great. They're not as large, but still water proof and indestructible. Ortlieb panniers lift off your rack with a single pull of a strap/handle, and attach just as easily; drop them in place.

Don't let the "Bike Shopper" name dissuade you. To me it's a name that completely fails in the area of "snob appeal", and also type-casts them for a single purpose. What they really are is a waterproof zip-top style heavy duty pannier, similar to Back Rollers except that they don't roll up to close. The zipper is hard to explain how it works, but it is both durable and impervious to leaking.

Anyway, don't go out and buy a rack for just one ride. But if you think you might be doing this more often, or if you want to use your bike for carrying stuff sometimes, panniers are nice to have. I hadn't expected to use them as much as I do. But at this point I mostly just leave at least one of them on the hybrid all the time. Also, I've ridden with them pretty good distances. They don't seem to create a lot of drag. There is some aerodynamic penalty, but they are situated in the wind-shadow of the rider's legs, so they're not as much of a drag as you might think. And they sit lower to the ground than a bike saddle pack, which helps with stability.

If you do go this route, I know there are a lot of rack options out there, but for up to 45 pounds, the Tubus Fly Evo is a perfect rack for carrying panniers. Light, minimal, you can leave it on the bike all the time and forget it's there. If you want a rack that can carry as much weight as you would ever want to, the Tubus Cargo Evo is excellent.