View Single Post
Old 05-30-20, 05:17 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by cprobertson1

It had a UN55 square taper bracket installed about a two years ago, should have about 5000-6000km on it. I didn't plan on changing it, buuuuut... I have chainline problems... the largest chaining won't fit under the derailleur! D'oh!

The new (front) derailleur doesn't extend out far enough - I've got the old derailler on just now so I can still ride it. Still, I done-a-dum-dum. Never occurred to me the front derailer would have a different max-extension!

The one I installed is an FD-A073 which apparently is intended for a chainline of 45mm. The crankset is an FC-M371, which is a 50mm chainline - so something needs to be changed. Do you reckon a 45mm chainline bottom bracket would do me, or would I be better chaning the front derailleur? To be fair, the current derailer doesn't really need changed - it looks worn and sad and the plating is blotchy, but it works.
Old triple FDs have the most range, modern stuff has more limited swing. Seems like you need another BB with a narrower spindle.