Old 10-07-14, 11:37 AM
Vern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow heart or follow head? Which frame?

Hello All:

Although I've been a visitor here many times, I thought I'd join-up in the hopes that someone here might have the words I need to help me decide between two frames. Being a very visual person, I really like the vintage look and history behind the Bianchi Pista Classica, but I see many practical reasons for doing this build based on a Wabi Special. Love the track look of the Bianchi/understand the common sense behind the Wabi philosophy. I just need the right push in one direction or the other. In case you need more info about my riding style:

I'm in my late fifties. Currently I ride two very different bikes. One is a completely restored 1972 Dunelt 3-speed for relaxed use around town. The other is a Felt Brougham with a flip-flop hub that I've upgraded with a Brooks Swallow saddle, White Industries Platform pedals/straps, and VO Postini flat handlebars with Brooks leather grips. While I'm not wowed with the Felt frame and stock parts, I really enjoy riding single-speed and want to give fixed a fair try. Currently geared at 47/17, it's the bike I use to travel longer distances and I love not having to think about gears. My plan is to build a new bike using a collection of select high-end parts that will include the move to drop bars. The bike will be used for flat-out recreational riding on a loop of about 12-15 miles that is nearly all flat, with the exception of 3 bridges (Clearwater Beach area) that would have to be crossed. I climb them just fine now on the Felt.

Help! I want to build something that looks really beautiful, but that will also perform well for the intended use. Thanks for any constructive thoughts you might have.