Old 05-13-19, 11:51 AM
Jack B

Bikes: 1992 Marin Palisades Trail (Modified)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtledove
I have a late 80s/early 90s chromaly rigid MTB that I've spent lots of love and care into. Whether in powdercoating, threadless stem conversion, tuning, etc. Over the time I've worked on this, couple of the experience I've dealt with, wondering if you can share similar experiences or takes on these:
  1. At first glance, they assume it's an old Walmart bike (which it surely is not) and pass judgement my way without giving it a closer look. I've had a bike shop mechanic do that and turn my bike away from service.
  2. Make passing jokes/comments at my expense. Like the time someone I met went into a full rant about how trash the biopace on my bike are, without warranting any such discussion. Yes, it's universally ridiculed, but it works for me and I haven't had any problems with it, thanks.
  3. I must be stupid for putting so much money into this, about $500 dollars in parts and service. Oh boy, if saving money was my priority. then I wouldn't be into mountain biking. It's about having fun, no idea why this is such a sticking point. If you want to do it and can afford it, do it, right? It's like telling the folks who like to supercharge their Honda Civics to save up for a Bugatti haha.
  4. "Don't do X or Y, you won't get the value out of it." This makes me smile, as if I'm some scrapper trying to refurbish bikes to resell.
  5. "Don't bother doing X, save up for another bike." I don't need the newest and shiniest carbon bike at the moment. This thing has lit a spark of joy in me for mountain biking and backpacking, and I'll buy the newest YT Jeffsy when I feel like my skills have progressed to deserve having one.
Even though I try not to let it get to me, I can't really avoid it when it comes up in the face-to-face interactions with certain bike shops, fellow riders, or random people on the Net. What do you guys think about it?
I too own a CroMo 90's rigid MTB ('92 Marin Palisades Trail - with a few modifications). It also has Biopace SG cranks - personally I love them, they're great.

I have however experienced the hatred of said cranks, from a Bike Shop employee who decided he was going to try his hardest to make me walk out empty handed. I don't care what others think, I just ignore them and add them to the 'ignorant oiks to avoid' list.

My advice is:
- If you have the money to do something you want, do it.
- If it makes you happy do it.
- Other people are idiots their opinion on your bike is meaningless - unless they agree with you of course

If someone is going to hate on your bike or its components, they're likely going to hate on it regardless of what you say. Don't give them the time of day and just show them that their £3000 bike is not necessarily any better than your retro offering.

Enjoy the riding,
Jack