View Single Post
Old 09-13-20, 05:16 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
So it’s brilliant because people scared of cars now have a nice new cycling segment. Thoughts of quiet pastoral trails, nature sightings and fun picnics. In reality though, gravel biking is really boring. Seriously the rides are short and slow with none of the challenge and sport of mountain biking.
I have to disagree.

First, I ride my gravel bike because it gets me away from traffic and houses and people sure - but not because I'm afraid of riding around cars.

Second, if you think gravel biking is boring you aren't doing it right. Yes it's absolutely slower than road riding so if you want to crank out miles fast definitely it's not what you want. But as for challenge - come ride with me, and I guarantee you will be challenged. Not all "gravel" roads are the same - not all smooth well groomed gravel. Some are dual truck tracks and can be quite gnarly. Some surprisingly dont' exist when you try and ride them. Some can be flooded mud pits. The climbing can be brutally hard, and at times the descents are just as hard.

Here's a ride I did around this time last year. I think you'd find it challenging: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/39689491

I had planned to ride an even more challenging route next week, but an IT band injury is forcing me to postpone it to next year.
Likes For billyymc: