View Single Post
Old 09-13-20, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
It is a brilliant marketing concept. Back in the day, I rode throughout the northeast on unpaved roads on a beater bike because who in their right mind would take something nice on a road where rocks pelted the frame and dirt got in your gears. Mountain bikers do that but gravel bikes are marketed to road bike people.

So it’s brilliant because people scared of cars now have a nice new cycling segment. Thoughts of quiet pastoral trails, nature sightings and fun picnics. In reality though, gravel biking is really boring. Seriously the rides are short and slow with none of the challenge and sport of mountain biking.

Not that I didn’t have fun, but I can’t imagine spending the type of coin people spend on these bikes, thousands even $10,000 or more for a bike to ride slowly on a dirt road for a few miles.

I simply don’t get it but apparently when people hear “gravel bike” they get all hot and bothered when in reality some piece of crap bike is what you need and not a carbon, or custom made steel or titanium bike. Its absurd.

The fad will fade soon I am sure.

Short distances? Not necessarily. Rail trails can be hundreds of miles long. With the right tires, I was cruising one at about 17 mph for about 70 miles--Northern Rail Trail, NH.
Likes For livedarklions: