Old 02-28-18, 10:49 AM
jrturner

Bikes: Trek 5000, Quintana Roo PR5 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quintana Roo PR5 and PR6 Fork and Frame Design Flaw

The Quintana Roo (QR) PRFive Frameset (S/N: F1611M3212) that I purchased in September of 2017 has an obvious design flaw related to the Frameset's frame and fork tolerances. When the fork assembly (front wheel) is turned to its limit in either direction, the front edges of the frame make direct contact with the side surfaces of the forks. This contact is atypical of a "high end" triathlon bike and causes the frame to dig into the painted carbon surfaces of the forks. This isn't ordinarily an issue when racing but often occurs when moving the bike from place to place and the handlebars turn left or right as a simple result of gravity when not holding the handlebars.

The solution to this problem, as described to me by the bike shop where I purchased the frame, is the application of clear "stickers" to the side surfaces of the forks. These "stickers" are not substantial enough to prevent the front edges of the frame from digging into the painted surface of the forks nor do they prevent damage to the frame itself. The bike shop expects that I'm supposed to replace the stickers with new stickers when the original stickers wear out. When the stickers are removed, they also peel paint off of the forks. Hardly a solution for a $3200 frame.

Has anyone else experienced this same problem with Quintana Roo PR5 or PR6 or know of a fellow triathlete that has experienced this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7208.jpg (1.16 MB, 84 views)
IMG_7209.jpg (799.5 KB, 79 views)
IMG_7210.jpg (872.8 KB, 82 views)
IMG_7211.jpg (693.1 KB, 81 views)
IMG_7261.jpg (1.07 MB, 82 views)

Last edited by jrturner; 02-28-18 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Photographs