Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Writenride
I had a lot change in my life after I turned 30, due to an accident, which left me partially paralyzed on my right side. It took me several months to recover from the fall, and I had to undergo surgery on my lower back. But the nerve damage was too great and I lost feeling on my right side. The nerves were gone. It took me a very long time to even think about getting back on the bike, although I felt motivated to do it, I didn't have the support to honestly, jump start myself to get on it. Physical therapy certainly helped me. At the same time, I had therapists who understood paralysis and even though you're working the muscles at your sessions, sometimes the psychological effects from your injury fuels fear.

All I can tell you is start slow. Don't try too hard at first. If you have someone with you, like a friend, or a spouse or someone who cares about you around to help you, that is very helpful. When you have an injury which changes you, that support means everything. You're not going to go fast once you get on the bike, so don't think about it, if you can avoid it. Just going on the sidewalk, or riding around your driveway can be motivating. It's also very good to combat depression.

I can tell you this much. Despite the fact I lost muscle on my right leg, and I've changed physically, I am still motivated to get on the bike for I remember how it made me feel; free, calm and happy. That's a far greater goal than winning a race.

JM
Thanks for the kind note. This has prompted me to update this post in the near future.