Old 11-01-18, 12:03 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I thought it was your sarcastic post 39 that really took the thread off track. Machka introduced the barrier that the hill poses to commuting in Hobart and tandempower was pointing out that in a car-free world, cities would evolve differently and each side of the hill would be a more self-contained community. Again, relevant to LCF, and if it was off topic for a winter commuting discussion, it wasn't because the OP took it there.
no to be exact he asked why people couldn’t just live on one side of the hill. Having been to South America I can assure you coastal communities found a way to cross mountains without cars. I would imagine even in the winter. Looking at the trade that went on between California native Americans and the Navajo before the car was invented. Without the aid of Gorilla urban planners. In fact reading about how the Tour De France started it seems as if much of the race was on dirt paths created for trade between communities on.both sides of some serious mountains.

But feel to participate in the delusion that man will be satisfied in one small area without exploring or traveling to trade or dominate another region. We can rewrite anthropology books with that concept. Well before cars by the way. See Hannibal. They even crossed water to “visit” Italy and some of it in winter.

It it does keep the thread going if that is your intention. I still don’t see the connection with winter commuting or travel.