Old 01-15-19, 01:03 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well, my 2CW is first decide why you want to go LCF, why is it important to you and how hard do you want to work at it. There is no right or wrong answer.

Second, as others have said, a good cargo trailer is worth it's weight in practicality for all manner of hauling. My wife and I hauled our kid and groceries, garden center plants etc... all over two cities with one before we ever owned a car.

And third, I actually agree with Tandem about the paradigm idea. If you want to embrace LCF you just need to start structuring your day to day life without driving. The good news is your two dogs are giant Schnauzers and not Greyhounds or Whippets. They do not need to chase any animals or run amuck to be happy. They will learn to enjoy long walks with you no matter where that happens. Instead of thinking you need to transport them X miles in a car to eventually run every day just figure out a route to walk from your house and save the runs for the weekends or a couple of times a week so the GF doesn't feel so imposed upon. Schnauzers are intelligent and were bred to be guard/security dogs and will thrive on obedience/agility training which is stimulating and possible in a more local environment.

That will also help with the human/dog bond so they walk on leash better. Two dogs allowed to run freely will never bond or follow a human command much. They will relate to each other. Ultimately, you want to assume pack leader status and the best way is to control the dogs by leash while walking so they have to take their cues from you. Leashed walking is also the first step in training to run beside a bike if you ever want to get there. Always on the left (if you are right handed), always correct any attempt to cross in front, train to walk beside not pull. That's what you need from them on a bike. If they pull try something called a Halti collar.

You could also try training the dogs on a treadmill. If it works they get exercise daily no matter the weather conditions.

So, depending on the strength and reasoning for your LCF motivation, the solution may be car light and regular runs, seeking a suitable cargo trailer or a compromise that sees some walking with occasional GF assisted car travel. Down the road you may consider only one dog if you want to continue or deepen your LCF goals.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-15-19 at 01:29 AM.