Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Mercian King of Mercia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts

TO SUSAN BB

Hi,

We just returned from our first weekend tour with my wife on her 52 cm. Volpe. It's a fabulous all-around bike, and like the LHT, a great value. The Volpe and the LHT are not directly comparable, because the LHT is designed as a touring bike, and the Volpe is a compromise. Most riders spend most of their time on day rides and errands. The volpe, with shorter chainstays and a higher bottom bracket, also makes a competent cyclocross bike. Check the components carefully: bar end shifters or sti? The built LHT offers the former (which I prefer) and the Volpe offers the latter (which she prefers). She's long of leg and short-waisted. The Volpe was a perfect fit out of the box.

Try before you buy!

Worthless trivia: The Volpe is painted in the original Celeste green. The color was developed by Bianchi's founder in the 1800's after he was asked to build a bike for the queen. He painted it to match her eyes. Her bike is just sooooo sexy. I even like the little fake leopard patches on her saddle.

One bit of advice: lose the cyclo tires asap unless you intend to be off-road a lot. You'll be glad you did.

All the best and (have I said it before?) try before you buy!