View Single Post
Old 05-14-16, 07:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Riding a 32 mile round trip commute every day gives me a lot of time to think. Sometimes I feel like sharing my thoughts with BF. But the trouble is, they are mostly disconnected, disjoint, unconnected to each other from one day or even one moment to the next. So rather than start half a dozen pointless threads I'll just toss some of them all into one, a thought stew, so to speak.….

Enough for now.

What thoughts pop into your head when riding?
Hi @jmm,

I don’t read C&V, but I happened to note your thread. (I have corresponded with jimmuller via a Metro Boston thread, and have briefly met him in person.) I enjoyed your post, and there is so much to respond to. First of all, re Boston commuting I have posted,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner.
Regarding 2016:

…Just this week, I was presented with a golden motivation to achieve my optimal mileage.…
Random thoughts:

I find that "random/sporadic thought 'clutter" (stream of consciousness) actually interesting, as long as it's not distressing thoughts. Perhaps you might find this previous thread helpful, ”Brain activity while commuting: zoned out or day dreaming?” I posted,

I too also think about composing posts, particularly on my long Saturday rides…

On routine commutes, it's often work related.
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view

…Another unintended benefit [of my new training schedule] is mental. I find that to honestly maintain my 60% RPE pace I must concentrate on keeping it up. At 50% RPE I don’t think about pace. One detraction from training for mileage is sometimes the lack of novelty (boredom) from riding well-trod routes. I find that the mental concentration and enjoyment of keeping on pace occupies my mind enough to displace any thoughts of boredom
Sincerely,

JfB

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-14-16 at 07:47 AM.