I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Outside of the frequent MUP debate among the general cycling community, I'd never heard of any mention of such a thing before the proliferation of e-bikes.

Its this lumping of all cyclist into one pot regulation that's what I'm afraid of most. For generations cyclist of all types have been doing our thing with barely any mention of wrong of need for more law enforcement to get involved.

Now, within the last few years there's regular news stories of cycling mishaps, politicians getting involved, ticking with exorbitant fines, and suggestions of licensing cyclist. Doesn't law enforcement have enough real crime to deal with? We need to stop this insanity. If they wish to regular powered cycles fine. But leave traditions cyclist out of it.

In all my years of cycling I've never runover anyone despite having people walk right into my path. I've always been able to stop without accident or injury. We cyclist haven't done any more now than what's always been done.

We don't need any government intrusion or regulation beyond what already is in place. We are no more a threat to the community than runners/joggers or anyone else. And unlike skateboarders, I don't ride my bike on the sidewalk. LEAVE US ALONE.
The alleged problem with frequent MUP debate among the general cycling community could be greatly reduced by:
  • Not drawing exaggerated conclusions from the various emotional screeds on this subject posted on A&S;
  • Resist bogus extrapolation of the dreck obtained by trolling the Internet looking for any hint of "news stories" of cycling mishaps, politicians getting involved, ticketing with exorbitant fines, and suggestions of licensing cyclist.