Old 12-10-19, 09:45 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I have a set of Superbe Pro hidden spring calipers that I bought along with some matching Superbe Pro aero brake levers and ended up just relying on various iterations of Dura Ace dual pivot calipers from different series (7403, 7700, 7800) on my road bikes. The SunTour brakeset sits unused by me, although I did fit aero Gran Compe Celeste green aero brake levers to replace the perished originals. So I don’t know about specific ferrules and which ones are needed for a proper install of SunTour brake adjuster barrels or the socket for the aero lever. I don’t think any ferrules are used to make the housing fit tight with the Dura Ace calipers I mentioned. The only brake levers that I previously was aware required internal ferrules to work correctly are Gran Compe Aero.

I love it that you plan to do a build with the 2nd gen Cyclone derailleurs. I’m assuming that the 2nd gen RD you are talking about was still just friction only and not Accushift (yet). If these Cyclone derailleurs have a less than perfect finish, do you intend to polish out the scratches or refresh the finish in some way? If you do, could you document it with photos and explanations? This would be great since while SunTour parts are highly regarded by many, you sometimes run across folks who are less than impressed and set them up poorly or worse, parts that have just been nelected or abused terribly.

I have a lovely microlite rear cassette hub that is silver with clear anodizing but was horribly shop worn when I purchased it off a person on eBay a few years back. I have since acquired a matching microlite front hub (used) for very little money (say $5) but it too has many, many scratches in the clear anodizing.

I have a roll of 3M micro abrasive 3” sanding discs that I would like to find a flexible arbor for. I would like to play around with abrasives like this on damaged silver bike components in order to restore or improve the finish. I might practice on some donor bike cast always for practice. Some guy recently had talked about driving the rivets out of a Dura Ace 7400 RD for some unknown reason - I want to say he thought he could lighten the RD by grinding away metal and he thought he needed to drive out rivets for a cage that had nothing wrong with its articulating mechanisms, the pivots were tight.

There aren’t many pristine Superbe Pro cranksets around still, the faceted profile on the arms and the polished interior spider set these apart aesthetically from junkier ones. This is why I was digressing about ultra fine sanding discs in the previous paragraph. There are so many scratched up used cranks from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and 2000’s, including SunTour Superbe Pro ones. Perhaps you could document your SunTour build for us?
This is probably where I will document this evolving build, so no problem there. I am awaiting a new camera which should arrive in a day or two, so pics will have to wait, but they'll be up soon.

I got the two derailleurs from out own FSOT thread, and they are both in near-new condition - really fine-looking pieces of kit. So, no, I won't be doing any polishing or whatnot.

As for the crankset, I picked up a Campy Gran Sport 3-arm set from @shnibop a couple weeks ago. I've always liked their looks and decided I wanted one on this bike to try out for awhile. I might look for something else in future, but right now I don't have another crankset model in mind.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-10-19 at 09:59 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude: