Old 06-10-19, 09:38 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Promax Decoder R cable actuated disc - Cannondale Topstone

Test rode a Topstone yesterday. Sore level. Loved the bike and it checks every box for what I want it to be. Riding around with flat pedals, Light touring/bikepacking and occasional recreational gravel rides. I have 2 dedicated road bikes for serious rides.

Loved the bike except the brakes. They feel extremely weak and I couldn't even lock up the rear trying to lay around and fishtail on dirt. Don't know if it's a matter of adjustment or they are really crappy.

The guy at the shop was super nice but I'm not sure I buy the idea that they will get better once they bed in better. I have zero experience with disk brakes, mechanical or hydraulic. I am however an experienced rider who always used rim brakes since a kid and I never had problems locking up a rim brake or any bike.

I don't want to turn this into a disk x rim brakes debate. I'm just wondering if it was a matter of adjustment or they are really bed. I hear that the TRP Spyres are the benchmark for mechanical disks and I plan to tes ride the checkpoint AL4 that comes with them.

Any input would be appreciated.