View Single Post
Old 06-15-19, 08:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I have seen recently a few people riding skateboard on the side walk as a real transportation mode.

It looks very interesting and fun. Wish I knew how to skateboard.

But I imagine the little wheels and bearings will wear out very quickly on the streets.
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Saw that today with a young adult skateboarding along on the sidewalk next to a 4 lane roadway. He was headed to a highway overpass. I figure he was a student at the nearby college.

I also saw a few bicyclists pedaling toward that college this morning. One on a bullhorn bar fixie bike with only a front brake. No coaster rear.

Back in the day I was a skateboarder, but going any distance on certain roads vibrated me so much my vision was blurred. Now days, all I have to do is touch a skateboard with one foot and I fall down.
Skateboards have come a long way over the past decade. My wheels are soft and 100mm tall. I can almost enjoy hardpack dirt or grass on it, but stick to smoother streets and paths anyway. Wheels last nearly forever for me. My quad skates have 70mm wheels which are the largest that will fit. And on skates I can just step over the larger debris or up curbs etc. I use cheapo bearings and keep them lubed. If they die I just replace them one by one. No biggie.
Likes For JoeyBike: