CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
So you would consider resupplying on-the-go "support". Interesting.

On the same subject - Are there any longer trips you have done where you would consider them "unsupported" by your terms? I know you state your treks you would classify as "self-supported" instead. Just curious.

Thinking out loud - I would be curious how long one could be out by your terminology of "unsupported". In my case, I can filter water on-the-go if necessary. Unless I am in remote areas with less pollution likely in the water sources I don't like to do that unless I have to (I have, I just don't like to and will do what I can to get tap water or buy bottled). So the two limiting factors for me are fuel and food - at what point do I get low? Or, how much can I carry? Or can I stretch what I have by fishing/hunting or cooking over a wood fire?

I don't like wood fires because that soots up my pots/pans. In fact, I can't recall cooking in camp over a wood fire since around 2008 maybe. I used to do that to cook things like instant oats and easy mac around a camp fire as I didn't have a stove at the time and didn't want to use others' stoves. Thats also why I don't like dealing with soot - been there, done that (and a bit of ash in the meal...).
I agree. I don't do wood fires either if I can avoid it (which means I haven't made one in 25 years or so). It's nasty, unhealthy, chars the ground and is not necessary at all.