View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 11:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Many years ago I did three ~800 mile, ~8 day tours. Camped (without either permission or discovery and leaving no trace) on private land, bought food in stores, many days eating one meal at a restaurant and usually getting a motel room one night. Likewise, a three day Memorial weekend tour in southern Michigan.

Cannot help you with the labeling. It never occurred to me I had to decide what my tours were. First two were a fun way to get to a place I wanted to be (college, then my college roommate
s home to start a post-college driving tour of the West. Last was a mid-fall ride from Boston to simply tool around

Vermont with no plan, just a bike, gear and post-season racing legs. (Aborted when cold fall rain hit and a city with Greyhound service wasn't far off.) In my Michigan ride, I almost broke my policy of no discovery camping on private property. First night I slept on low ground. Lots of underbrush and well hidden. But the mosquitoes! Next night, I sought a high open field and found it. There was an occupied farmhouse just over the other side. No problem. No mosquitoes. Almost summer solstice: I needed no light and didn't plan to cook. As i was retiring, the sky changed. Clouds moved in, Wind started to build, The color of the clouds became weird. I remembered. I was in tornado country. Was this is it? I dressed, put my shoes and helmet on and prepared to run to that farmhouse as fast as I could to beg to hide with them in their basement. Nothing happened, The wind toned down. Next morning I stopped for breakfast and bought a paper. Yup, there was a front page map of the midwest with a huge swath from southern Ohio right through Michigan of random tornadoes. My campsite was dead center. (Had that farmer let me in, I guess I'd have to call that ride "supported". Being Michigan, I"m sure he would have.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: