Old 11-09-20, 11:07 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
So you would consider resupplying on-the-go "support". Interesting.

On the same subject - Are there any longer trips you have done where you would consider them "unsupported" by your terms? I know you state your treks you would classify as "self-supported" instead. Just curious.

Thinking out loud - I would be curious how long one could be out by your terminology of "unsupported". In my case, I can filter water on-the-go if necessary. Unless I am in remote areas with less pollution likely in the water sources I don't like to do that unless I have to (I have, I just don't like to and will do what I can to get tap water or buy bottled). So the two limiting factors for me are fuel and food - at what point do I get low? Or, how much can I carry? Or can I stretch what I have by fishing/hunting or cooking over a wood fire?....
I've never gone more than 10 days completely unsupported, and those were hiking trips. Five days max by bike in wilderness and National Park areas. My ten-day hiking trips were in true, roadless wilderness (Sierra Nevada and Pasayten/North Cascades). I went stoveless on those trips, and pure natural water was a feature of the landscape. Food load was a big factor, but only for the first few days. Both those trips were part of multi-month thru-hikes, and were bracketed by self-supported stays in towns. I met a hiker who can stay out for over three weeks with a food load, but I can't (or haven't). I won't even consider foraging, hunting or fishing, other than the occasional wild onion or ramp--just not my style.